Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Clutch release bearing making a noise on my Lancia beta, I

Customer Question

Hi ,clutch release bearing making a noise on my Lancia beta, I don't know when clutch was last changed or ever it has done 89,000 miles, I have owned the car for 4 years . Am I as well to change the clutch while it is being repaired or is this a much bigger job? Many thanks Louis
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No, gears good and no clutch slip, just the squeak when I press the pedal .
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: Lancia Beta 2000ie 1983, it's not show condition but still very good order has been well maintained .
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: haven't done anything yet , not sure if I will do it myself or not . I'm used to old mini's and find this car a bit more difficult .
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that it thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
happy to wait
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi..there..

If the release bearing is as you say wearing out or the bearings are going..the gearbox has to come out any way to repair it meaning access to the clutch assembly..it would make a lot of sense in the long run to just to do the clutch while the gearbox is out..saves going back in if once the release bearing is done the clutch goes next..plus most clutch kits come as three parts with the release bearing aswell the friction plate and the pressure plate..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's perfect thankyou , that's exactly what I wanted to here . I have a difficult time getting parts for my car so knowing what I need to do before I take it to bits is very helpful .
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi..there.. no problem..glad to help..

In the meantime if you could leave a accept/rating for me it would be much appreciated