Gavin Perry
Gavin Perry,
Experience:  dasdasd
105804848

I am an American in the UK who has just qualified to drive

Hi there, I am an American in the UK who has just qualified to drive here (though I have driven 20 yrs in USA). I am looking for a very inexpensive, slightly older used car to make the odd journey here and there. The UK car market is a minefield to me so I am wondering if you had any advice about particular models and years of car that would be a good choice for me. I want to stay under £2000, have a hatchback style with an emphasis on boot space and very fuel efficient and low on insurance and road tax. I want something that is known for reliability in spite of being a bit older...can you help me?

Hi welcome to the UK can I help you on this regards Gavin.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi there, yes please.

Hi what sort of mileage are you planning per year ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not sure as I've never driven in this country and would like to do some road trips etc. I should think less thank 10,000.

I would advice stay away from EU diesels they are poor and breakdown a lot . I would advice a Lexus is 200 dirt cheap in the UK slightly bad on petrol but cheap to buy and minimal garage cost and very reliable. What would you think would it suit your needs ? regards Gavin.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As stated above, I am looking for a hatchback style, and something that is low on insurance as I am a new driver. Also would be great if it is in the cheapest road tax category. What would your advice be?

Give me a idea on your budget please .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As stated above, I'd like to stay at £2000 or less

You will not get a cheap tax category on that budget in the Uk. The US market and EU markets are polar opposites so I understand your confusion would a estate suit ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It needs to be a hatchback, I have seen some Ford fiestas and similar cars listed that say £25 tax. I am thinking something with a small engine and I don't mind if it's up to 15 years old. So basically what is the best older hatchback for reliability, efficiency and insurance/tax?

ok are you based in London ? and would a Toyota yaris be to small ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm near Reading. Something around that size would be good.

That is the one to go for as you get a car that is reliable and should be cheap tax. Don't forget the UK is anti car so really check up on the tax as it can go on year of car ect

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you for your recommendation. I will take a look at that model.

Good if you need anymore info just get back in contact and if you get time please rate me regards Gavin.