sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a 1.2 BE Polo on a 2002 plate. The car starts

I have a 1.2 BE Polo on a 2002 plate. The car starts perfectly but after 20 minutes the vehicle loses power. I then drop down a gear rev a bit and the whole loss of power clears. The vehicle has only done 26,000 miles. Any ideas.
Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
Could you tell me please what kind of fuel does your car use and what are the last maintenances you have done in your car?
Also do you have any indicator lit on your dashboard?
Thanks in advance
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jose thank you for replying. We have just purchased the vehicle which is fully serviced by careful owners. It is incredibly low mileage so I guess has had long periods of little use. I believe it was a vehicle owned by an elderly person. The vehicle is one of the three cylinder Polos with Cam Chain. The vehicle runs on unleaded. Had it in our very reliable garage who plugged it in with no faults. The engine light came on once they plugged it in for me and the fault was on the sensors either side of the cat converter . They reset with no problems.Hope this helps

Dear customer my apologies for my delay to get back to you.
I understand your query and tes the information you give me is helpful.
I understand that your vehicle has very little mileage but already has several years of use and what happens is that there are components that inevitably become damaged over time even when there is not much travel in the vehicle.

This type of failure is called as choke in the engine, which can be due to problems in the air intake system or fuel injection problems, usually when problems are observed in the air intake system. They basically have to the throttle body Well I'm observing that you have an important feature in your failure And it is that you release a little the accelerator and the loss disappears, this can be due problems in the throttle body or in the accelerator pedal that at a certain moment does not allow the correct operation and therefore you have to release and re-tighten the accelerator, so that it is reacting again. I do not know if you understand me, solve This will lead to a revision of the throttle body in which first cleaning or maintenance is done.

Second, it has an important feature of a fuel pump failure which can cause a pressure drop, it is inevitable that the fuel pump must be replaced from time to time. So, it is good to do a check with a pressure gauge of fuel to observe that there are no pressure drops.

I also recommend checking the spark plugs and the coil in order to rule out that the spark is correct and has no problems here, because problems in the combustion spark cause this type of power loss as well.

As your Polo has very little mileage, i did not consider that it has major faults such as engine or transmission failures, but if your model is automatic, I want to emphasize that there is a maintenance that must be done every so often, even when the mileage it is not high, it is good to check the fluid of the transmission, as the fluid transmission with the passing of time loses its properties which can cause the gearbox not to make the changes correctly and we feel it as a loss of acceleration due to problems in the oil system, therefore I would recommend to maintain the transmission by checking its fluid and its filter and if necessary replace both.

Dear Customer, my goal is to give you the best advice I can and I hope that I've helped today.
If more help is needed or something is not understood, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. You can rate at any time by selecting at the 5 stars rating system and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Best regards, Sebastian.