sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Driving down the road in 5th gear and van started revving

Driving down the road in 5th gear and van started revving like I was in neutral now it will go into 5th but once I lift off clutch it just grinds and revs up is this a clutch or gearbox fault

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, do you have any indicator lit on your dashboard, also the problem is the only in 5th gear?
Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No lights up on dash and was only 5th gear but now small bit of grinding as I go into reverse and a bit of a clump on gear selector changing gears

Dear customer, i apology for my delay.
the 5th gear is the farthest travel gears in the transmission, when in a transmission the clutch starts to fail the problems to enter the farthest speeds is a symptom of this, reverse Likewise is another signal.. Therefore, according to how this is happening, the failure i considers that it is a clutch problem where the clutch master kit should be replaced. But it should be first reviewed to then replace the whole master clutch kit. Romember that is better replace the whole clutch kit than one single part because when a part fails the others will fail soon as well, and the costs of replacing part by part are way much expensive than replacing one part.

Have you understood me dear customer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Perfect thank you I was inclined on thinking clutch but mechanic tried telling me it was both so think ill try a new mechanic. Appreciate your help

You are welcome dear customer, as you describe your problem, it points us a clutch problem, you if you can look for a second hand would be way better.

My goal is to give you the best advice I can, If more help is needed later, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. You can rate at any time by selecting at the 5 stars rating system at the top of your screen and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.

Best regards, Sebastian.