experteer
experteer,
77184159

I imported by French car into UK when I moved back there in

Hi - I imported by French car into UK when I moved back there in 2016. In registering my car, black strips were fitted to the headlamps. Now I am told that is no longer allowed and my car has failed its MOT. This seems incredible and particularly annoying as when I return to France on a visit, I need to put "black strips" on! I am told this is a new UK law - really? I look forward to your advice. Dawn Nelson
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: Citroen Xsara Picasso 20 HDI
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No - it has being held by the Citroen garage
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so

Dear customer, thank you for choosing Justanswer. My name is***** would like to help you.

I understand that's annoying.

But it is indeed so that it is not allowed. We have to distinguish here. If the vehicle is registered in France and only comes to the UK for a holiday, the stickers on the lamps are allowed.

However, if the vehicle is registered in the UK, it must meet the technical requirements in the UK. This means that as soon as you register the vehicle in the UK, you have to convert the lighting system to left-hand traffic. That's why you didn't get through the MOT.

I am sorry, but you will have no choice but to exchange the headlights for those for left-hand traffic.

I would be very happy about a rating with 5 stars over the star bar at the top of the page, without this rating the site operator does not pay us experts.

experteer,
Experience: 
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Michael for settling my mind. It would be nice to know though when this came in as my car has already passed MOT's in the UK without this problem being highlighted. Of course, I will give you 5 stars - you are!

It may be that it was simply tolerated at that time, but it was not really legal at that time either.

Maybe the law was tightened.