experteer
experteer,
77184159

The start turns but it doesn't sound like the engine is

The start turns but it doesn't sound like the engine is actually turning. the timing belt seems to be slipping over one of the visible pulleys rather than turning it.
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: not sure how many miles. I have never changed since buying the car at 70 000 miles. The car now has 97000 on it
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: Jag x type 2003
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Havent tried anything
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just what the problem is. whether they can fix it and how much it would cost
JA: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.
Customer: What if the diagnosis is inacurate

Dear customer, thank you for choosing Justanswer. My name is***** would like to help you.

If you are afraid that the engine will not rotate and the belt looks as if it will jump over, you should not start anymore.

Here the belt cover must be removed and the timing set. Then you have to see why the belt jumps over (cracked, tensioner defective, pulley defective).

Furthermore you have to check if the pistons did not hit the valves. If so, you have engine damage. Then the cylinder heads must be dismantled and the pistons checked. If the pistons are still ok, the corresponding valves must be replaced.

However, a mechanic should take a look at the whole thing on site,

I would be very happy about a rating with 5 stars over the star bar at the top of the page, without this rating the site operator does not pay us experts.