experteer
experteer,
77184159

I need to know whether a fault on my range rover is a

I need to know whether a fault on my range rover is a manufacturer fault or due to wea and tear
JA: What year is your Range Rover?
Customer: it is a diesel hybrid range rover sport built in September 2014 and has been in and out of Harwoods since July
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: it has always ben serviced by Harwoods which is the range rover dealer where I bought it
JA: Are you fixing your Range Rover yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I canot fix it myself I asked Harwoods who are a range rover dealer to fix it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the dashboard says it is an electric hybrid fault

Dear customer, thank you for choosing Justanswer. My name is***** would like to help you.

Does the workshop already have more detailed information about what exactly is defective or what kind of error code could be read?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Michael
I asked Harwoods to send me an email and I have copied and pasted the email belowSince the car has come into for the 2 warning messages that have been coming up on the dash we have been carrying out tests and repairs as per Land Rovers guide lines.
We started with testing all the batteries and found small secondary battery to have failed. We replaced this as it needed to be done first before testing further. After replacing this we updated landrover technical as you had the car broke down again with the fault again. We have carried out all the tests set to us by technical and they have said to replace the crank sensor and reluctor ring as they have identified this a problem on seeing our tests. To replace this sensor it involves removal of the gearbox to access. The costs for repairs so far is £2839.50 and we are looking to claim 60% of this through land rover for you which would leave £1135.80 to pay for yourself.
I would like to say this will be the last thing to do on the car but the repair will require to be tested once completed but I am hopeful
Please let me know how you wish to proceed
regards
Steve

Thank you very much for your response.

No, I don't see a production aid here, I assume that one of the two defects was the trigger for the other. But which one was first can no longer be proven.

That sensors and batteries (like the secondary battery) break down happens already once. But you can't say with both defects that these masses occur as it would have to be with a series production error.

Very positive is the fact that Range Rover contributes 60% of the costs, even if the remaining amount is still very high, I think it's good that Range Rover supports here.

I would be very happy about a rating with 5 stars over the star bar at the top of the page, without this rating the site operator does not pay us experts.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I did not really understand your answer.
Do you think that the crank sensor and reluctor ring could have worn out? or do you think the problem with the crank sensor and reluctor ring is a production defect/error?
I look forward to hearing from you.

I can't say why the ring is replaced, wear or production errors can be ruled out here, as the sensor picks up the signal from the ring without contact.

I also regard the sensor as wear, because it is not subject to any mechanical stress. If there had been a production error, it would have been from the very beginning.

So I don't see a production error here, but simply the failure of an electronic component. I assume that the ring has to be replaced because the new sensor has been further developed. Then it can happen that the encoder rings have to be replaced as well.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for your reply. I now understand that the sensor is an electronic component.
Is the reluctor ring also an electronic component - if not what is it? and can the reluctor ring wear out?

No The ring does not wear out and is not an electrical component. I can only explain that the old ring is probably not compatible with the new sensor. The sensors are constantly being further developed.