Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 2009 CLC 180 kompressor and there is a scratching

I have a 2009 CLC 180 kompressor and there is a scratching sound that seems to be coming underneath the gear stick, the noise is present when the car is in motion in neutral and also when I have the clutch engaged but is louder when the accelerator is pressed, so don't think it's the gearbox. The sounds speed up and slow down with the car and seems to get louder the longer I drive. It is almost like a rotating part is rubbing on something as the frequency reminds me a little of when you stick a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle...any ideas?
Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: Nope, clutch seems fine and gear shifting is smooth
Assistant: What is the model of your '09 Mercedes?
Customer: CLC 180 Kompressor
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing as of yet, the sounds has me totally stumped
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Here is the sounds of that helps
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Also worth mentioning it's a manual
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Happy to wait

Hi..there..

There was a litle known issue with these regarding the handbrake cable dropping down and touching the prop shaft due to the handbrakes holding clips failing...thus when the cars in motion you get the noise of the cable touching the prop shaft shaft transmitting up through from below the gearstick..that would be worth looking into anyway..however it does require the car to be quite high up to gain access to them..so a 2 post lift would be advised to inspect and possibily fix this fault if its that...they may also need to insepct the flex disc on the driveshaft where it mates the gearbox..these can be common for failing aswell the rubber compound breaking up...

Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience: Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK