experteer
experteer,
77184159

When the smart car is hot - it shudders when it sets off

when the smart car is hot - it shudders when it sets off from stop and i cant get it into gear sometimes . is it the breaks binding.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: break peddle do you mean .
JA: What is the model/year of your smart?
Customer: 2005 2 seater
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: ive taken it to a garage changed the front break pads cos they looked worn . but it only starts the problem when i travel for more than 30 minits and the temp is over 80 . after going down a big hill using the breaks .
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats all i know .

Dear customer, thank you for choosing Justanswer. My name is***** would like to help you.

Is it the gasoline or the diesel?
Have the fault codes ever been read by the workshop?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Gasoline
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No

Okay, thank you very much.

I assume that the Fehelr only occurs when the engine is warm because components expand due to the waste heat. Then it can come to the fact that the construction units have misfires.

With the Smart, this is usually the ignition coil or the crankshaft sensor. This should be checked and replaced by the workshop.

I would be very happy about a rating with 5 stars over the star bar at the top of the page, without this rating the site operator does not pay us experts.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
why does it judder

he jerking of what you perceive is very likely an ignition failure.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok so why is it getting so hot to fail in this way - is it a problem with the cooling system - how do i stop this happening .

As already explained, the electronic components also become warm. These expand and can then get loose contacts.

As described above, the workshop should start with the ignition coil and the crankshaft sensor. These are often defective with the model. The only remedy is an exchange.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok - i'll get those swapped out . is it a big job .

No.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you for the chat

You´re welcome