experteer
experteer,
77184159

I have a 2010 Volvo C30 D2 and when it is left all day or

Hi. I have a 2010 Volvo C30 D2 and when it is left all day or over night, when you first start the car it produces white smoke and the there is a noise from the engine for about 5 to 10 seconds. After that, there is just the usual engine noise and no smoke out of the exhaust. My local main dealer cannot find anything wrong, even though it never used to do this when I first had the car. Started doing it after I had the car for about 18 months. The smoke seems to smell a bit like soot or diesel. It does not struggle to start when the outside temperature is cold.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Yes, them are fine. They were checked when I had to have a new battery because my wife let the battery go flat a couple of times. Like I said, when it is 1st started from stone cold, there is a slight knocking from the engine when the smoke is produced. I cannot see any oil in the coolant and I cannot see any water in the oil either. Does need water or oil topping up between servicing ( which I have done annually regardless of mileage).
JA: Are you fixing your C30 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I am not as I am not that confident on new diesel engines. The only thing I have done is put some injector cleaner through and also took off and cleaner the mass airflow sensor.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I don't think so. The engine runs fine and there has been not reduction in power, driveability or fuel economy.

Dear customer, thank you for choosing Justanswer. My name is***** would like to help you.

What you're describing sounds like the engine doesn't combust properly at first.

When the engine has cooled down completely overnight, the system injects more fuel to compensate for the diesel that is deposited on the cylinder walls within the first few seconds.

However, there are always times when the EGR valve jams or does not close properly. Then additional air enters the cylinder, which disturbs the combustion. This can lead to a so-called knocking combustion which explains the noise and also the smoke.

The workshop should close the pipe of the EGR valve with a sheet metal. The next day you try to start normally. If the problem does not occur then the EGR valve is the cause.

I would be very happy about a rating with 5 stars over the star bar at the top of the page, without this rating the site operator does not pay us experts.