experteer
experteer,
77184159

Gearbox is leaking clear fluid. I rang Skoda as I have had

Gearbox is leaking clear fluid. I rang Skoda as I have had the car from brand new, it is 5 years old (no warranty left) and has only done 41,759 miles.
JA: What is the color and consistency of the fluid? And where exactly are you finding it?
Customer: It's clear, but leaves a puddle and a mark on the floor wherever I have parked it. Patches are under the nearside part of the engine compartment, near the front wheel.
JA: What is the model/year of your Skoda?
Customer: It's a Skoda Roomster 1.2 TSI first registered 2014.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I took it to a trusted local mechanic, who had a look. He stated that there is a crack down the outside casing of the gearbox. He took a photo to show me the problem. He stated that he suspected that the pins of the differential inside the gearbox were breaking down, and hitting the casing of the gearbox with great force. Causing the crack.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The mechanic who investigated for me recommended that the gearbox needs replacing, due to the damage coming from inside it, and the clutch also. He estimated that this would probably cost around £1300. Not what I would expect in such a young car, with one careful owner and a below average mileage. I then contacted the Skoda garage where I bought the car, but they would not discuss it with me at all unless I paid them £60 for the first half hour of diagnostics. I pointed out that a diagnostic program would not pick up a mechanical issue like this, and they agreed with me, but still wouldn't discuss.

Dear customer, thank you for choosing Justanswer. My name is***** would like to help you.

Clearly, the crack in the housing is due to a problem in the aluminum casting of the gear unit or a too weakly designed part. Unfortunately there is no guarantee on the car anymore, so Skoda is not obliged to pay for the gearbox, no matter how few miles the car has driven.

For a 5 year old vehicle, the customer service representative could apply for a Skoda participation. However, Skoda will usually only participate if you have always been with Skoda for maintenance.

Otherwise I suggest a used gearbox.

I would be very happy about a rating with 5 stars over the star bar at the top of the page, without this rating the site operator does not pay us experts.