experteer
experteer,
77184159

Greg, over the last few weeks my fob has intermittently been

Hi Greg, over the last few weeks my fob has intermittently been struggling to open my smart, now it wont open at all. tried to open the passenger side with the key but will only turn the lock in the wrong direction. Changed the battery in the fob but nothing is happening at all. Terri
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: Changed the fob battery but not the Car Battery
JA: What is the model/year of your smart?
Customer: I will find out
JA: What year is your smart?
Customer: sorry, Im waiting for my father to come off the phone as he knows the information needed
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we tried changing the fob battery, we tried opening the lock on the passenger side and we tried opening both doors from the inside through the top of the windows, the doors just wont open.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: year 2013

Dear customer, thank you for choosing Justanswer. My name is***** would like to help you.

I assume the Smart's battery is fully charged.

If the fob has been causing problems recently, you can assume an electrical problem with the fob's circuit board. Maybe you could open the fob and see if there's a cold solder joint somewhere on the board.

In the worst case there is no other choice but to buy a new fob.

The fact that the door locks cannot be turned is probably because they are jammed because they are not used enough and have not been lubricated. This is often the case with vehicles with fob because the locks are never moved.

But even if the locks were to rotate, without the Fob signal, the immobiliser would not release and the car would not be able to start anyway.

Either you use the second key (if available), check the solder joints, or unfortunately you have to drag the car to Smart to get a new Fob.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you for your help we will try all you have suggested. regards Terri

You`re welcome.

I would be very happy about a rating with 5 stars over the star bar at the top of the page, without this rating the site operator does not pay us experts.