Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

I need help my battery has gone flat can you assist? I left

Hi I need help my battery has gone flat can you assist?
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: I left my wipers and lights on over night
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Renault laguna
JA: What year is your Renault?
Customer: I think 2006
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I havent tried anything. I have no jam pleads
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified technician I will try and help you.

The first thing to do is ensure that you have now turned off the lights and wipers this will prevent any further drain on the battery.

It will depend on how flat the battery is as to what you will need to do. If there is still enough battery to light the dash warning lights and if the vehicle has a manual gearbox then you may be able to bump start the car. It would of course need to be facing down the hill with space to roll out the vehicle. I can give you more precise details if this is the case.

If this is not possible or the lights on the dash are not showing then the battery will either need to be replaced or charged. A completely flat can be recovered but it will take a long slow charge.

The third option is if you can source some jump leads to get the vehicle started, running it for a while will charge up the battery but it will need a decent length of run to do this.

I realise that this doesn't offer you a quick fix to your problem but I hope it does help you.

Please let me know if I can provide any further details to help you, if you are happy with my answer please click accept and rate me. I will be able to answer any further questions and be able to help you even after doing this.

Steve

Hi just a quick follow up to see if you got started ok.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was jump started by a mechanic... I left the engine on for an hour then switched it off. Tried starting it again but it did not start .... however I noticed that the fan was on all along so not sure if that drained the battery while charging

Normally an hour of running should have put enough charge in the battery even with the fan running, you may need to check that its charging ok. The fan could be a problem though, did it go off when the engine was turned off? It could contribute to the flat battery.

There is also the chance that the battery has been depleted too far.

Let me know if I you have any further questions I can help with.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the fan continued running
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The car is an automatic one and everything is electronic

It sounds as though this may be part of the problem, if you can disconnect the battery overnight this may help reset the parameters and things may be ok, but you will need to either give the battery a good charge or replace it.

I hope all goes well but do feel free to ask me any further questions.

Steve