Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I am driving a ML270 CDI. From time to time, when slowing

Hi there, I am driving a ML270 CDI. From time to time, when slowing down and stopping before a traffic light, the brake light starts flashing and beeping, then the car is stuck on 1st gear (Limp mode?) When I stop and restart the car- problem is gone.. Please help
Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: I have not checked it, I did change front brake discs and pads recently, but I do not know if they have checked it
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: Ml270 CDI 2000
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I went to diagnostics, but they said it is showing no errors
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
please

Hi..there..

Ideally the garage has to plug the car in and try to replicate the issue that your seeing and capture the event or codes that are stored..to me going by what your saying i maybe leaning towards a faulty brake switch,it doesnt just activate your brake lights..it also send info to the ecu when your slowing down.trim fueling..so might be worth looking at that.wiring to it...

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your reply. It is actually the hand brake sign on the dashboard that starts flashing and beeping. Is it possible that this is from a brake switch still? The car goes into 1 gear. Thank you

It still possible that the switch is at fault albeit intermittent..when you coming to stop or full stop or pressing the brake pedal the gearbox is actually kicking down obviously,to first..unless you have an issue in the valve block on the gearbox..it difficult to say over the 2 but the brake light switch issue and then the fault recitifing itself after ignition reset is quite common on the ML's thats why it best to inspect the switch on the pedal box,wiring to it,or get it on live data or have the mechanic drive the car,whilst its plugged in to capture the fault..

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok, I see. I will buy a new brake light switch. Do you think it might be possible because of this fault the car to be stuck in 1st gear when it happens, not changing gears before I restart the car? Thank you very much

Its still possible yes for the car to be in limp mode/stuck in first gear , until your reset with ignition... before you actually by another switch..it would be best advised to have it diagnoesd properly and confirm the fault...

Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience: Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
Customer: replied 12 days ago.

Your welcome..if you need anything else or need advice..then just ask..