sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

P38 4ltr 2000 petrol, after inserting key in ignition the

Customer Question

P38 4ltr 2000 petrol , after inserting key in ignition the dash says press fob,but nothing happens.
Category: Car
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 14 days ago.
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 8 days ago.

Hi, my name is Jose Sebastian, your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, Is your car not starting on?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I don’t want free trial for extra 5 pounds
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 4 days ago.

ok no problem, we can keep working on your query if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Any ideas please
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 2 day ago.

Dear customer, i apology for my delay.

Dear customer, there are several causes for this type of ignition problem. In fact, to determine it accurately from my position is very difficult since I am not with the vehicle, it may be due to a problem in the recognition system of the immobilizer system to a problem in the vehicle start-up system, what I am going to do dear customer is to proceed to give you certain recommendations to cover the main causes of this inconvenience hoping that by verifying these aspects you can find the problem with precision:

1) I haven't observe if you have discarded any problems with the battery and the connections therefore my first recommendation is to perform that, nor i observe if you have already discarded the fuses these should be checked very well all the fuses and relays of the vehicle,your Rover has fuses and relay that are responsible for allowing the power entrance to the starting system when one of these burns or suffers a defect its impossible the signal passage to the starter or ignition system, therefore I will recommend you to start with this.

2) Dear customer, most of the time problems with the starter motor and connections to it can occur. As you will understand dear customer the starter motor is the one in charge of turning the engine for the first ignition, when we have problems in the starter the vehicle when trying to start does nothing, the engine does not turn or makes any noise, therefore my second recommendation is that you check the starter system and its connections in addition it is normal that the connections with the time may suffer problems in their connections may be sulfated or suffer some kind of mishap, therefore I will also recommend that you check the starter motor connections.

3) Dear customer other problems that may occur and that may be very inconvenient with the immobilizer system.
First let me tell you how the immobilizer system works.
The electronic immobilizer protects your vehicle through an electronic code integrated in the key. This consists of an invariable personal code and a second code that the immobilizer modifies each time the engine is started.

When starting the vehicle, the immobilizer verifies the personal code and the variable. If both codes are correct, the immobilizer sends a new coded signal to the engine control to unlock the engine. Without this signal, the engine cannot be started, even by a short circuit.

As you will see dear customer when we have a problem in the immobilizer system the vehicle cannot start, therefore my recommendation is that you verify this immobilizer system, You can first perform a computerized diagnosis to rule out if there are fault codes related to it and then you can try program the immobilizer module again from a programming device, this equipment is owned by companies that are responsible for opening vehicles, duplicating keys etc. The programming equipment is not owned by normal garages its owned by especialized garages.

4) Dear customer, a problem in the ignition signal can also cause problems when making the diagnosis you will be able to know if you have error codes related to this system Therefore it is also good that you verify the diagnosis to be able to rule out problems here .

Now dear customer before finishing the answer to your question I want to indicate that there is a characteristic sound that gives me all the clues whenever I have a problem in the starter motor and it is that click that is heard, that sound is very characteristic that the engine of Startup is getting stuck We rarely do maintenance on starter motors And if you have never done maintenance it is very likely that it is being stuck internally, for this dear customer I will recommend that you perform maintenance on it, for this int the spare houses sell a kit to replace internal parts.

Do you understand me dear customer?