Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

Heater not working Assistant: Have you checked to make sure

Heater not working
Assistant: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?
Customer: Yes
Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Vauxhall corsa 1.3cdti 58 plate
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I have changed the resistor as this was rusted. Put a new one in but still not working. Looking to find out what else it could be and what estimated price I'd be looking at for repairs and labour
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have another issue where when I drive it doesn't seem to rev as high as normal and when I'm in third the car jerks when I'm revving but it's nowhere near the red line. Advice on this would also be appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Heater is the main issue. I can live with the engine issue. Also I have a lot of blue smoke when I start the car up. Is that usually an issue with the oil? Or something else?

Thank you for your question and sorry for the slow response, it has been particularly busy today.

My name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified technician with 30 years experience. I will try and help you.

First can I clarify when you say the heater is not working, does the fan work ok and blow out air and is it just that the air it blows out isnt hot, or does the heater not blow out air at all.

It may be that the two problems are related, but if I deal with the heater first as that is your main issue.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The heater does not blow at all. I turn the dials and the fans dont blow any air.As mentioned I've changed the resistor so I know it's not that. I'm wondering if it's the motor that's gone or if its something more simple.Thanks for your help and I look forward to your response

It may be the motor or it may be something simple like a fuse, you need to test for a voltage at the heater motor using a test lamp or volt meter.

You should be able to see the wires going into the heater fan by looking up under the passenger footwell.

You will see the two wires going into the heater fan, and if you can test for a voltage that will either confirm it is the motor, or if there is no voltage this will indicate another problem.

Have you checked the fuse? this is number 5 in the engine bay fuse box.

As it is the blower that is at fault, this should not be connected to the juddering you have, the most likely cause of this may be worn fuel injectors and this may also be connected to the smoke you see on start up

I hope this answers your question but do please ask if you need further advice.

If this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue.

I can still answer any further questions you have even after doing this.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks Steve. I'll give the fuse and the voltmeter a go and I'll come back to you if I have no joy. Thanks again for your assistance. Hope it works.

Just let me know if you need any further help.

Steve