Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

Oil pressure light and engine management light came on, I

Oil pressure light and engine management light came on, I stopped and put oil in, both lights are now off but the car is now making a funny noise
Assistant: Have you checked the oil? How old is your oil pump?
Customer: Yes. And added oil
Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Audi A4
Assistant: What year is your A4?
Customer: 2004
Assistant: Are you fixing your A4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That’s all

Hi thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified technician, I will try and help you.

Can I just check I have the details correct, the engine oil was low and the oil pressure and engine management lights both came on. you have check the oil on the dipstick, which was low, so you have topped up the oil and now the lights have gone off, but the engine is making a funny noise.

Can I ask how much oil you needed to put in and I know its difficult but can you explain the noise? Is is a knocking or shushing or sucking type noise.

If you can confirm these details I will do my nest to answer your question.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Steve.
Thanks for your reply.
Yes that’s correct
I put 4 litres of oil in 2 x 2 litre bottles
And it’s like a knocking/ ticking noise
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Jamie

Thats quick a bit of oil, I suspect that one of the oil control rings on one of the pistons has gone, this will have allowed the oil to burn away to a level which was too low to allow it to be picked up by the oil pump.

This would then put the oil pressure light on, and when the ECU detected this it would also put the engine management light on.

Topping up has now extinguished these lights, but if the cam followers have run dry it may take a short time for them to clear through and operate again.

The first thing to check is how much oil the engine is using, if it has been a while since it was checked then things may not be too bad, I would recommend an oil and filter change and this may put things right.

If the oil was checked not too long ago, then you may have more serious problems and have to consider why your engine is using so much oil.

I hope this answers your question, if it does please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue.

Even after clicking accept I will still be able to answer further questions from you.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you very much
If it is a oil ring
Is this a big job? Expensive?
Jamie

If it is the oil control rings it is a big job and you may consider fitting a second hand engine as it would be prohibitive.

Steve