CarDoc
CarDoc, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

There is a knocking noise coming from the passenger door mid

There is a knocking noise coming from the passenger door mid way along towards the top. Garage have not been able to solve it. A new SLC 300.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Since I bought it. Inside the card. Between card and outer panel
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2019 MB SLC 300. Purchased August
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. Mechanics have stuck felt around bolt going through glass and against the runners that hold the glass and also in the sill
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It rattles consistently unless road is very smooth

Thank you for using JA. I'm Baz, one of the automotive experts, I try to be available in the afternoon on weekdays and in the evenings on the weekend. I apologise if I do not respond to your question promptly, I can assure you that I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you

Do you have any problems with the window or any other controls on the passenger door?

It seems like a nut/bolt may have worked itself loose.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No other problems

If you wind the window down, does it affect this knocking noise?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No still rattles

Has the main dealer removed the door card to inspect this noise?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
they put felt around a bolt that goes through the glass to raise/ lower window and between the two metal supports that hold the glass

Were they sure that the noise was coming from that bracket? did that "fix" affect the rattling sound?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No they were not sure. They have not been able to solve the problem. If anything it seems a little worse to me but that might be because I’m listening out for it.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
What else could cause that knock sound in that area please

The way forward would be to remove the door card completey and then go for a drive to see whether noise is inside the door or the door card. It is difficult to locate the source of rattling noises without the car infront of me so, I suggest steps to isolate or narrow down the possibilities.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok

Things like these are common in brand new cars so, I would recommend telling the garage to do what I have suggested rather than constantly messing around with the door panel. The repeated process of removing and reinstalling the door card can introduce more noise because the fixings will become loose.

I hope I have answered your question, if you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please don't forget to leave a 5-star rating. Your rating benefits me and helps me build my reputation. It is also a way to thank me for using my time and expertise to respond to customers. Thank you.