Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

Mu daughter drives a diesel golf and she mistakenly put in

Hi, Mu daughter drives a diesel golf and she mistakenly put in unleaded petrol. She only put in 12p worth which is less than 150ml. What is your view on the risk? What action?
Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Same as usual. She had around half a tank of diesel at the time and then filled to the top with diesel.
Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Not sure exactly, sorry. It is a 2011 golf I think 1.6l tdi
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have done nothing as it seems to be running fine.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is all

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified technician with over 30 years experience. I will try and fully answer you question.

Even though the dangers of petrol being put into modern diesels are quite high, with the very small amount of petrol that your daughter has put into her tank, and as she has then filled up with diesel diluting the petrol even further I would have no worries that this would cause any problems.

As you say 12pence worth of fuel is less than 150ml and this will be diluted sufficiently as to not cause any problems. I would also ensure the next time the tank is filled it is again filled to the top, and then I would recommend a new fuel filter just to be extra sure.

But as said, that amount of fuel will not cause harm.

I hope this answers your question fully, if it does please click accept and rate me, this helps me to continue.

You can ask any further questions even after clicking accept.

Many Thanks

Steve