Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

I am parking my kia and the steerig gets really heavy, yes,

i am parking my kia and the steerig gets really heavy
JA: Have you checked the fluids?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: kia sedona 2008
JA: Are you fixing your Sedona yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no steering rack changed oil steering
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
could it be electrical

Hi thank you for your question. My name is Steve and I am a fully qualified technician with over 30 years experience and hopefully I can help you.

As you have checked the power steering fluid that can be discounted as the problem, this means the most likely cause of the problem to be the power steering pump itself which is not producing sufficient pressure. There is another possibility that the belt driving the pump is not gripping sufficiently, this would normally give off a squeal when trying to turn but not always.

The last component in the steering is the steering rack but when a rack fails it normally leaks and very rarely makes the steering tight.

Finally the steering may not be tight due to lack of power steering but due to either the steering u/j on the shaft becoming tight, this will give a notchy feel, or the swivels on the front suspension but again this is very rare.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask me any further questions, if this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue.

I will still be able to answer further questions after you have done this.

Many Thank

Steve

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
have tryed everything if i buy a pump and its not the pump i cannot get it cha

Providing the belt is not slipping, in my experience I would say it will be the pump, but of course as I can't inspect the vehicle I can't guarantee that for you, but it is certainly what I would do.

Steve

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok will have to check the pump many thanks

Listen for any noises like a rushing of fluid, that will be a good indication that the pump is faulty.

Steve