sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

When accelerating my car makes a sort of grinding vibration

Customer Question

when accelerating my car makes a sort of grinding vibration noise
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: nsf just started today
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: vw golf mk5 1.6 fsi
JA: What year is your Golf?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your Golf yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes ive jacked the car up both wheels and the noise goes, ive removed the ns driveshaft which seems ok although the engine mounts seam like they have excessive play
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: do i nneed to pay for this service
Category: Car
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Is someone there to help
Expert:  experteer replied 17 days ago.

Dear customer, thank you for choosing Justanswer. My name is Michael, I would like to help you.

Have you noticed the virbation in the steering wheel?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No vibration in steering wheel, I had to replace hub on os due to a minor accident which it was bent
Expert:  experteer replied 17 days ago.

Okay, thank you very much.

Does the noise change with the speed of the engine, or rather the speed?

How does the noise behave when driving around a corner?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Noise seems to go away when turning left briefly also does increase when accelerating faster but will instantly go if you put your foot on the clutch
Expert:  experteer replied 17 days ago.

Okay, the one with the foot on the clutch is an important clue.

Since the device is gone after lifting the front wheels, the clutch can be excluded as a cause (the clutch release bearings make similar symptoms, but the noise must also be present when the car is lifted).

Since the noise is gone when the car is lifted, it has something to do with the power transmission. It can be assumed that these noises are possibly due to a defective differential in the gearbox. This is relieved when cornering and when interrupting the power transmission by stepping on the clutch.

You should take an oil sample out of the gearbox and leave it through a paper bag. If the differential is defective, fine metal chips must be visible in the handkerchief.

I would be very happy about a rating with 5 stars over the star bar at the top of the page, without this rating the site operator does not pay us experts.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Checked the oil doesn’t appear to be any bits of metal in there
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Did seem like some black specs in there, I’ve removed the gearbox now I can’t see it being anything else than that
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 15 days ago.

Hi, my name is Jose Sebastian, your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, i'd like to help you.

do you still need help?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I don’t know if you can see the previous conversation with the other mechanic
But I was get a noise from nsf on acceleration, noise would go when turning left and noise wasn’t there at all when both wheels jacked up of the floor. I’ve drained the oil it’s quite black with a few black specs in it, gearbox is removed now and have a replacement one on the way. I hope this cures my problem

According to the previous messages i would like to see myself a picture of the oil sample you took and if you can a video when the car is making the noise so i could listen it by myself in order to be more accurate.
You can uplocad the video to youtube and share with me the link here.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Just tried uploading a video on here

Sorry, i did not receive it.sometimes upload videos in the platform is hard, that's why i recommend youtube to do it.
Here is a link with a guide of how to do it. And then you can share the link with me.