Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

Rover 45 td starts fine when cold and runs ok but after

Customer Question

rover 45 td starts fine when cold and runs ok but after being left for about 11/2 hr won't start if left to go cold starts fine with no problem
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: yes i have
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: rover 45s 2.0litre diesel 2002 done 23000 miles
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i don't know where to start really
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Car
Expert:  Stephen Rothwell replied 10 days ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Steve and I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully I can help you.

As the problem is temperature related I would first check and if necessary replace the coolant temperature sensor. This may be giving the wrong information to the ECU as regards the necessary fuelling needed for the engine to start at that intermediate temperature, between cold and running.

The sensor is located at the front of the engine in the cooling system union above the alternator.

Another possible component that may be to blame for the problem is the air temperature sensor, this is incorporated into the MAF sensor in the induction hose from the air filter to the inlet manifold.

If you can gain access to a diagnostic reader, checking the live data you could then confirm if either of these sensors were putting out false information.

If no diagnostic reader is available then I would be inclined to replace the coolant temperature sensor first as this would be a cheaper option.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask me any further details. If this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue.

Even after you have clicked accept, I can continue to answer questions on the problem.

Many Thanks

Steve