sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

The power steering is not working Assistant: When was the

Customer Question

Hi the power steering is not working
Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: Yes there is a whinning noise
Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: I am not sure when the fluid was last checked
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Land Rover discovery sport
Assistant: What year is your Discovery Sport?
Customer: 2016
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have not done anything to it
Category: Car
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 15 days ago.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I still need an answer please as I made a payment for this too ��
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 15 days ago.

Hi, my name is Jose Sebastian, your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
Dear customer, do you have any indicator lit with this problem?
Also, how many time have been this happening?
thanks in advance.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
This is the first time it has happened

And is there any indicator lit?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No there is no indication as it is stop start car

Dear customer, let me explain that this failure can come from the powered-assisted steering. As you will understand the powered-assisted steering is made up of a motor in the direction of the axle, and a sensor known as clockspring located on the steering wheel, when you want to turn left the clockspring receives the signal and sends it to the motor of the direction so that it is active to the left and you can feel the smoothness on the steering wheel, the same happens when we turn right, in cases when failures are intermittent, certain aspects must be verified.

First verify that all fuses are correct and that none is defective, as this can cause current communication to be cut off momentarily and produce faults of this type.
If there is no problem with the fuses, we can start thinking about having a problem in the components that make up your powered-assisted steering.

The advantage is that your vehicle is very sensitive by means of a scanner, we can perform repairs of certain aspects without having to disassemble some parts, everything at the electronic level, so first I recommend you make a computerized diagnosis to verify by means of the ECM (Electric control module) if the motor or clockspring are defective and if you simply delete the error codes and reprogram the factory data of the system, the fault would disappear.
Then, if you notice that there is an error code that tells us the motor of the steering, first check the wiring loom and connectors, it is very common that these are damaged by the place where they are located are subject to much moisture and dirt and just as you tell me when there are failures of this kind, problems occur intermittently, so damage could occur here.

It is also very common that the wiring loom that reaches the clock spring because it is located in the steering wheel suffers defects because it is in constant movement, this causes that when moving the steering wheel at certain moment the power supply is cut off deactivating the power steering.

The clockspring also tend to suffer defects but as well as my previous explanation is disposable by means of automotive diagnosis.

The motor of the power steering is a place that suffers many blows and dirt is what causes that the connections and wiring may have defects is why we must check before making any replacement.

If all the above was ruled out. Now, if you can proceed to replace the steering motor. It is the most prudent way to proceed without making unnecessary expenses.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!