experteer
experteer,
77184159

I am looking at buying a used Daihatsu Copen (2009 - 48000

I am looking at buying a used Daihatsu Copen (2009 - 48000 miles) for my son - no obvious signs of issues, but the last MOT (July 2019) had an advisory for “near side front coil spring corroded (5.3.1(b)(I)”. Is this likely to need urgent attention, and what would the likely cost be?
JA: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.
Customer: ok
JA: What is the model of your '09 Daihatsu?
Customer: Copen 1298cc
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: absolutely not!
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: im in the U.K. if that makes any difference

Dear customer, thank you for choosing Justanswer. My name is Michael, I would like to help you.

Springs should always be replaced axially. If one is broken, both springs must be replaced to maintain driving stability. Otherwise it can happen that one side has worse suspension than the other.

The springs themselves usually cost between £80 and £100 each. On Ebay etc. it is usually a bit less. However, it is a bit more effort to install, because to exchange the springs the whole strut has to be removed. After the repair the axle has to be readjusted. I estimate the total cost of springs and assembly at £400 to £600. Depending on the workshop, different hourly rates apply and some small parts are needed.

I would be very happy about a rating with 5 stars over the star bar at the top of the page, without this rating the site operator does not pay us experts.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
If this is the first time it has been flagged, would it need doing right away?

No, as long as the spring is only corroded it is not, but it will break sometime, then it has to be replaced. Check the springs regularly.