Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

I am trying to buy a toyota used corrola verso 55 plate but

i am trying to buy a toyota used corrola verso 55 plate but i am worried that the biting point is a bit high. the seller says that these clutches do not have a biting point. can i be sure that i will not have to replace it in near future?
JA: What year is your Corolla?
Customer: 55
JA: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no just buying but not bought yet
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks

Hi thank you for your question. My name is Steve and I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade. Hopefully I can help.

I would be wary of the sellers advice, all clutches have a biting point. Different vehicles do have a different feel, but there is always a biting point where the engine will start to drive the gearbox.

To test the clutch I would drive the vehicle at around 20 mph in 3rd and then change up to 4th, see how quickly the engine revs stabilise, if there is a period where the engine seems to rev, then the clutch may be worn and could possibly be near the end of its life.

Modern clutches can loose drive very quickly and if in doubt I would look elsewhere or budget in for a new clutch.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask me any further questions.

If this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue.

Even after you have clicked accept I can continue to answer questions on the matter for you.

Many Thanks

Steve