Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

My SMART (auto) car steering seems to be locked and I can't

Hi - My SMART (auto) car steering seems to be locked and I can't unlock it.
JA: How many miles are on the smart? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: It's never happened 27667 miles
JA: What is the model/year of your smart?
Customer: FORTWO PRIME PREMIUM AUTO 2017
JA: Are you fixing your fortwo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried key in ignition and moving steering wheel to left and to right
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Thank you for your question. My name is Steve and I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade.

Can I just check does the ignition turn on ok, and does the engine start up.

Steve

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The ignition won't turn on as it is in the lock position

Ok

I am presuming the battery is not flat and the vehicle unlocked ok.

When you put the key in does it feel normal or does it feel as though it isn't going fully in. If the key doesn't feel right then it may benefit from a quick spray of lubricant in the barrel such as WD40. but if it feels normal then something sounds amiss with the locking mechanism. You should also check that the gear selector is in the park position.

One other point that I have come across is when the vehicle is parked very tightly up to a kerb and the steering will not move enough to allow the lock to be released. In these cases a little more pull will need to be applied to release the pressure on the steering lock.

Your Smart has 36 months warranty and so I would not want to advise you to do anything that may infringe that warranty.

I would contact the dealer and ask them to come out to the vehicle. Any other action you take may invalidate the warranty.

Although I realise I haven't given you a quick solution I hope this answers your question.

If this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue.

You can continue to ask questions on the matter using this thread even after clicking accept.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks Steve - you will not believe it the problem was that I had my watch tied around the gear shift and it had fallen down, When I released the watch everything worked!! Thanks anyway......... Regards, Vivien

Pleased to hear it was nothing serious.

Have a good day :)

Steve