Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

My battery light stays on while I’m in the car Assistant:

Hello, my battery light stays on while I’m in the car
Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?
Customer: it has been driving normal as far as I can tell and I’m not sure how to do that
Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Vauxhall corsa 2008
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My dad said he check the wires and they seem fine
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When I initially found the issue , the accelerate cut out but the car was still on

Thank you for your question. My name is Steve and I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade. Hopefully I can help you.

The red light remaining lit is an indication that alternator is not charging the battery, even though the engine is running fine and the vehicle is driving ok this is still very likely and if left will result in a flat battery. This may prevent the vehicle from starting.

If you have access to a voltmeter you can check the charge of the battery by using the voltmeter directly on the battery, you should see around 13.5 - 14 volts with the engine running.

You should also check under the bonnet to see if the auxiliary drive belt (fan belt) is still fitted and tight.

There is another possibility that the problem is with the ignition switch, i mention this because of your last comment about the accelerator cutting but the ignition was still on.

The first test though is to see if the battery is charging ok.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask me any further questions.

If this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue.

Even after you have clicked accept I can continue to answer your questions by replying to this thread.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Okay so this issue is something I can fix? I won’t have to take it to a garage ?