Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

The steering assist malfunction service required warning

Hi the steering assist malfunction service required warning light has come on my Ford Focus 2011 ,usually happens a few times a month and the car is almost impossible to steer ,if you turn the car off and then on the problem sorts it self out ,I have taken it to a ford garage and they say they could not diagnose a fault but if it happens again the steering rack and pscm will need to be replaced ,is this right ?can The module be changed without changing the rack ?i woul be grateful if any has any advice .I changed the battery but that didn’t work
Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: Sorry it wasn’t me that changed it
Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: jyst battery change ,ford changed the lock module ,I am not good with cars
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi there good morning you and sorry for the delayed response

My name is***** would be happy to assist you Today

do you still require technical assistance with this concern

what is the registration number of your vehicle

do you know what fault code is logged in the PSCM

Also does this happen more on long drives

kindest regards ***** *****

brian

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the problem is still ongoing,the redg is WV61CKJ
The ford garage said that it didn’t retain the fault so they not diagnose it ,it happens sometimes when I turn the ignition on
Hi thanks
Ok in some cases the PSCM doesn’t store the code but it is rare
In my experience the faukt will either lie with a faulty PSCM (internal failure of the module) note: tje PSCM is part of the steering rack and is not avaiable seperatly or can be changed separatelyThe other issue I have seen is an intermittent connection of the main PSCM fuse in the battery fuse box
This is why it’s imperative to carry out the diagnostic with the faukt present in case you have a power supply issue to the rack
Personally I wouldn’t just put a rack in the vehicle until I was certain of either a fault code ie: u3000 - internal electronic failure
Or proper wiring checks have been carried out with fault present and all feeds/earths are present with no steeringHowever I have replaced many of these racks in different vehicles for internal faults
Commonly either a failure of the module or overheating of the rackIf you need any further help or technical assistance going forward
please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you
If you are satisfied with my answer /advice thus far
PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER
as is how iam Accredited for my advice and to build my online profile
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice daypositive feedback Is kindly appreciatedKindest regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is a power supply issue a problem with the fuses ? Could this be carried out if there was no fault registering as I am assuming it would be cheaper than replacing the rack and midule which is what the ford dealer wants to do
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also would it have to be a ford dealer that does this work ?
Hi there the PSCM has 1 main feed and 1 each
It also has an ignition feed and 2 coms wires
The fault I have seen 2-3 times over the years with the fuse is a hairline crack in the main inline fuse for the PSCMmost commonly it’s an internal rack failure thus why the wiring must be checked with the fault presentKindest regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what does it mean if it is not storing the Fault as they have tried twice
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
To diagnose it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry could a problem with fuse lead to this and if there is a problem with battery fuse box would the rack and module still need replacing?
Hi there basically if it was a power supply issue then the module doesn’t wake up so you get no power steering
This is why you really need the fault on it to diagnose the issue
As I mentioned most commonly it is an internal failure of the rackIn regards ***** ***** not storing codes this does happen sometimes
My advice would be to leave it with them a few days and get there master technician to
use it with the computer on it so if the fault appears he can read the codes
Sometimes this is what needs to be done to get faults on vehicles
As It would end up an expensive guess if it isn’t the rackIf you need any further help or technical assistance going forward
PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice daypositive feedback Is kindly appreciated
Kindest regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If DTC u3000 for pscm shows up then it will need rack and module?
If the issue was a power supply then the rack isn’t the issue
Also the rack doesn’t need programmed so any garage can replace this
The rack configuration is pulled from the cluster once the ignition is turned onIf you need any further help or technical assistance going forward
PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER
Brian
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Does problem with fuse box have fault code ?
If dtc u3000 is preset its an internal rack faultIt’s not a fuse box issue I have seen it’s just one fuse (hairline crack )
It wouldn’t log a code in PSCM but would log communication codes in other modulesRegards brian
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok because when I called the AA out when it first happened they done a diagnostic and a load of codes came up I think some were to do with communitatiin
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Does u3000 mean a new rack plus module ?
U3000 is an internal electrical failure of the PSCMTHE PSCM comes as part of the rack it’s one complete unitKindest regards ***** *****
Brian
Hi there I have seen another post from you that says they found the u3000 code ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
that’s right I found the invoice so that is what was on it
Hi no worries ot just opened up a new question
If they have reported the u3000 was stored in the PSCM then the Steeing rack will need replaced
I can give you the part number and price if you require thisIf you need any further help or technical assistance going forward
PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER
Brian
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
that would be good ,does it have to be done by a dealership ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Or could any garage do it ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
As I am not sure about the dealer as they seem to have done work that was not necessary ?
any garage can replace this rack
The ford part number is *****(###) ###-####The price - £928.00 + vatI don’t know if you can but reconditioned ones this information is a new one from fordIf you need any further help or technical assistance going forward
PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER
Brian