sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I'm getting a false "Fuel Level Low" reading even when the

Hi, I'm getting a false "Fuel Level Low" reading even when the tank is full! When I filled up, I noticed a yellow plastic float near the surface. Should this be removed?
JA: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?
Customer: XF 2010
JA: Are you fixing your XF yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing! - sometimes the message disappears for a while, but then returns. Should I go to Halfords or similar?
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks

Hi, my name is Jose Sebastian, your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
Dear customer, how did this problem happen?
Was it after a service?
Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No, it came up totally unexpectedly and apart from being really irritating , it conceals the actual level of fuel. I filled to the top twice to be safe, but the message still appeared. Then, for no apparent reason, it disappeared , only to return the following day! When I last filled the tank, I noticed what appeared to be a yellow piece of plastic floating near the surface. Is this part of the fuel sensor perhaps; and if so, could I remove it myself (with long tweezers?) as I'm reluctant to have to go to a main dealer, where they'll charge a fortune. Is it possible to disable the fuel sensor warning system? The Jaguar XF is wonderful to drive, and seems very reliable, but false warnings are a constant irritation, principally those associated with tyre pressures.

Dear customer, I understand your query, dear customer your jaguar has a floating responsible for measuring the level of fuel is inside the fuel tank, where the fuel pump goes what happens is that if this floating is not replaced alone but must be replaced with the entire pump.

So basically to solve your measurement failure you must disassemble the pump by completely removing the battery and replacing the pump with a new one, it has a moderate cost and some knowledge is required to perform this replacement. ALso you can check if it can be set in its palce again but it it very likely that a replacement needs to be done.

Do you understood me dear customer?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Yes, thanks for your advice. Replacing the pump is going to be an expensive job - work on Jaguars is never cheap - but I'll just have to bite the bullet, or replace my car when the fuel gauge is not giving false signals - the problem is intermittent after all! Thanks again, and goodnight

Yes dear customer I know that they are somewhat expensive jobs, although I would recommend you to do this work in an alternate garage as it is a fairly common work, in addition you can get this second pump at a much cheaper price than the new one. I hope these tips can help you.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!

Best regards, Sebastian.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
many thanks - I'll certainly avoid Jaguar dealers. Meanwhile, the message has disappeared yet again. Thanks, and goodbye.