sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Power steering pump has broke Assistant: When was the fluid

Customer Question

Power steering pump has broke
Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: fluid was checked a week ago and there was still some in it today, yes there was whining noises whilst steering
Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Mini cooper 2002 R50 1.6l petrol
Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i have not tried anything
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it said it had a slight seepage from the component which im guessing was the pump itself ?
Category: Car
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 10 days ago.

Hi, my name is Jose Sebastian, your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, do you have any leak in the power steering?

Dear customer, If the sound only occurs when the vehicle is on and varies according to the acceleration of the engine,indeed the steering pump is very likely to be defective but if the sound only occurs when you turn the steering wheel independently of the engine, The problem will lie more in the steering rod.

This type of repair can be somewhat expensive. The good thing is that you do not necessarily have to replace the pump completely as it is very likely that the internal seals and rubbers of the transmission were simply worn out.

If this is the case, you must replace the internal seal kit, which is much cheaper than having to replace the entire pump

Have you understood me dear customer?
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!

Best regards, Sebastian.