sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

How do you update the idrive on uk version bmw 5 series to

how do you update the idrive on uk version bmw 5 series to allow bluetooth audio. as only bluetooth option shows phone only. for android phones
Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 520d msport 2013
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: latest update but still only showing phone only option
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats it thanks

Hi, my name is Jose Sebastian, your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, is the bluetooth connecting with the phone in anyway?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
yes phone for calls only
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
i have updated from bmw website, as when I go into mutimedia then bluetooth. then phone. my phone is showing connected. I then go to configure but the only option to tick is phone. as in some models it gives you the option to tick audio. so looking for an update or switch to enable audio through bluetooth, so songs and information shows on screen, and to be also use steering wheel controls.

Dear customer, in addition to the idrive upgrade, do you hav ethe Y wire?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
if you mean the usb and 3.5mm jack cable to connect bluetooth audio streaming yes. but i have no control this way.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
is there no other alternative apart from Y cable and is it a specific cable?

Dear customer, you already have this cable then. Even with it is not working, so your car is not specified with 6NS - Convenience phone, expanded Smartphone but 6NH - Hands-free with USB interface.

There is a way to code this software version to your unit but
your car wasn't specified with "6NS - Convenience phone, expanded Smartphone" only "6NH - Hands-free with USB interface".

For Bluetooth and using the white cable all you need to code in 6NS instead of 6NH. Having this software version and the y-cable the coding can be done.

This work i recommend you to use a car audio garage as they are used to perform this kind of jobs, you can ask to the dealership as well but it is unlikely they know how to this work.
This is the option you have without having to replace the unit.