experteer
experteer,
77184159

D358 error, 60000 miles not sure what you mean by a scan

D358 error
JA: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?
Customer: 60000 miles not sure what you mean by a scan tool 5E56 error
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2AC4
2A8B Model is mini one 2009
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I bought it second hand with a warranty have been having issues with the steering and the engine - loosing power, and want to understand what the issue is so I can go back to the seller and get it fixed - not have them tell me there's nothing wrong with it!
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope

Dear customer, thank you for choosing Justanswer. My name is Michael, I would like to help you.

Unfortunately, you can't just say what exactly is defective.

The error code 5E56 means that the voltage in the control unit is too low. The other codes indicate that there is an error in the CAN data bus.

I assume that 5E56 is the relevant code. If a control unit has too low a voltage, it can no longer send on the data bus. The failure of the data bus signal then leads to the symptoms described by you.

Therefore the wiring of the ECU should be checked, if ground is present, if plus voltage is present. If yes, it is very likely that the ECU is defective.

Don't let the workshop get rid of you, either they know exactly what is defective but don't want to do it because it is too expensive, or the workshop has no idea what it is and doesn't want to do the work because diagnostic work is very time-consuming.

But there is definitely an error that is covered by the warranty.

I would be very happy about a rating with 5 stars over the star bar at the top of the page, without this rating the site operator does not pay us experts.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The full error report I got is pasted below. Even if some of the issues are just old errors that haven't been cleared propertly the engine and traction stability codes are of deep concern to me because of the ongoing issues i've been having with the car.

So your advice is to go back to the company that sold me the car and get them to look into the erros fully?

Engine:
2AC4
2A8B

Heater & air conditioning:
E72C

Traction/stability control:
D358 - No message (instrument cluster 784)
5E56

Airbags:
93C2 - Seat mat, seat occupancy detector, passenger

Instrument cluster:
A3C1 - Lights module failure
A3B4 - CAN signal fault light system

Car access system (CAS):
A125 - MSA error request

Central module (in driver's footwell) (FRM):
9CC7
A8AA - Left dipped beam light faulty
9CCC
9CCB
A8C1 - Left reversing light faulty
A8B9 - Left 1 brake light faulty
A8B6 - Right brake light faulty
A8C0 - Right rear fog light faulty
A8BC - Right 2 brake light faulty
A8BF - Left rear fog light faulty

Junction box (passenger) (JBBF):
A872 - Interior protection defect

CAN network gateway:
A169 - CCC-GW: control unit fault

That's quite a lot of error codes.

First of all I would start with the central module, which partly controls all the other functions.

One can only work off control unit for control unit. I don't think that all errors are really single errors, but are rather consequence errors. The biggest common feature is the central control unit.