Marc Webster
Marc Webster,
Experience:  mechanic at sw autos
107219462

Is it possible to change the transmission oil on a LR2 TD4

is it possible to change the transmission oil on a LR2 TD4 2008?
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: normal engine oil?
JA: Are you fixing your LR2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's a transmission failure according to the dash warning lights and it switched to 'low power'. It seems a common fault, I want to avoid a gear box change, so thining of trying changing the oil, but iot seems a sealed unit.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Actually can I also ask about possibly changing the oil in the Haldex system as that looks like a sealed unit too. Is it possible?

hello, i can assist with this, it is possible to change both the gearbox oil and the transfer box / haldex oil. is the transmission manual or auto

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Manual

the gearbox will have 2 drain plugs normally allen key heads, the bottom one is the drain bung, the top one is where you fill it up, until it comes out. the haldex im just looking into that for you now

for the gearbox , it has a 3/8th ratchet drive square bung this can be undone using a ratchet with no socket.
the filler is a 17mm bolt

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No thanks, this is working well. At the moment just need to know if it’s possible. I’m will in future when needed. Could you let me know about the Haldex.

the haldex oil can be changed but it is highly reconmended that a garage / main dealer does this as it is very sensitive to debris / damage also the oil is a special oil and im lead to believe the seals have to be changed too.

ive attatched a picture of instructions for the haldex, please note that no drain bung is on the haldex the oil has to be manually removed via a syringe , its advised to remove the unit completely dissasemble, cleean in a parts wash hot bath. then refit and refill as noted in the attatched pic.

I hope my advice helps. is their anything else i can help you with today