Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

I have an intermittent fault with my windscreen wipers.

I have an intermittent fault with my windscreen wipers. Sometimes they stop working and then come back on after a while
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know if there is power to the wiper motor?
Customer: Have not checked the fuses. If there was not power would they work at all?
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Renault Clio
JA: What year is your Renault?
Customer: Sorry do noyt have the year at hand but the registration is VU51XMP
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I am not a mechanic and my usual garage are not experts with electrical faults. They had the car for a few days and just tried the wipers at times and they always worked.A couple of weeks ago I left it parked in heavy rain and when I got in to drive home the wioers would not work I started to drive carefully home and after about 10 min they suddenly started working
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It was not the first time I have had difficulty with the wipers

Thank you for your question, my name is Steve and I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully I can help.

One of the most likely scenarios is that the wiper relay is sticking, this is located in the multifunction control module and is relay number 10 (I have attached an image) the connections should also be checked for any signs of burning or water damage, both these things can prevent the wipers working. The module is located on the passengers side behind the glove box.

Another possibility is that there is a bad connection to the wiper motor itself or the switch operating the wipers.

When the wipers fail to work if jiggling the switch will get them to operate, then the switch is a possible cause, if this makes no difference and the relay as mentioned earlier is ok, then when they do not operate you should try moving the wiper arm slightly by hand to encourage it to begin operating, if it does than move, this would be an indication that the wiper motor is at fault. The wiper motor has a parking switch inside and if this is failing it can prevent the wipers from being activated.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread, if this does answer your question then please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue, even

after clicking accept i can continue to answer your questions by replying to this thread

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you, that seems very thorough but not being a mechanic it is going to take me time to digest the information.

If you need to get back to me with any questions on the matter to make anything clearer do feel free.

Steve