Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

I need to change the radiator in my skoda superb 1600 cc,is

hi,i need to change the radiator in my skoda superb 1600 cc,is it difficult?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has any work ever been done on the radiator?
Customer: 430,000 miles, no work on front of car
JA: What year is your CC?
Customer: 2015
JA: Are you fixing your CC yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i will have a go ,nothing attempted yet
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully I can help.

The job is not too difficult and the time given to compleat the job is 1.3 hours, you can expect it to take a little longer than this if you have no experience.

The first step is to drain down the old coolant from the bottom hose, the hoses on your Skoda should be held in place with a spring clip which needs to be lifted out of place, once the spring clip is removed the hose should pull away, but it can stick and so may need a bit of a wiggle to release it.

You will then need to remove the top air air ducting which connects to the air filter housing and then the fan cowling needs to be removed you may have one or two fans in the cowling but I have attached an image showing where the fixing screws are. the fan connecting plug will also need to be removed as the cowling assembly comes out.

Once the cowling / fan assembly is out of the way you will have more room to work and should be able to see the radiator fixings, I have attached a diagram showing these.

Once they are undone and the other hoses removed the radiator should come out of place. Fitting is in reverse order I would advise using a silicone lubricant on the hose connectors when you refit them as this will help them seat correctly, once all back together the cooling system can be bled out.

Do this by filling the system with the suitable mixture of coolant and then starting up and running the engine with the radiator cap off, rev the engine to around 1500 rpm whilst ensuring the coolant level is topped up, after two minutes switch off the engine and let the coolant level settle, repeat the process and ensure the coolant is flowing through the radiator and heater, replace the cooling system cap and take the vehicle for a drive to ensure all is working correctly.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.

If this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue, even

after clicking accept I can continue to answer your questions by replying to this thread

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks Stephen, I have changed radiators before but many years ago, I was concerned about having to remove front bumper, grill etc. Thanks for your advice 10 out of 10. Have a good day.

You welcome, hope all goes well, some of the VW vehicles need the number removed as the radiator is screwed from the front, but yours is a little easier.

Steve

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi I need to change my radiator in my skoda superb 1600.cc, how difficult is it to do?

Yes as the instructions I have given above not too bad a job.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

I think there must be a problem with the system, this question has been answered

Steve