Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My ESP and Epc light are coming on when I hit a bump and the

Customer Question

My ESP and Epc light are coming on when I hit a bump and the car goes into limp mode My mechanic plugged it in to the diagnostic machine and no fault showed. What might be causing this . I have just bought the car
JA: Has the light been on for some time?
Customer: no just on and off when I hit a bump
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: polo 2011
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No The mechanic looks dat it and said it wasnt showing a problem on the diagnostics he has changed brakes we have just bought it
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I just need to know why this might be happening when it hits a bump and isn't showing when the car is plugged into a diagnostic machine
Category: Car
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
the ESP and EPC light comes on when I hit a bump and the car goes into limp mode. My mechanic plugged it into the diagnostic machine but it does not show a fault .
Expert:  Robert replied 16 days ago.

Hi..there..

Are the ESP/EPC lights on when he scans it.. if not then he likely wont get codes..the faut needs to be present to be able to see what codes are stored..better still can he not drive the car whilst its plugged in to recreate the fault.and then scan it.might get somewhere trying that..i note you mention it only happens when the car hit bumps.in that case id be checking obvious things like ground/earth points on the car and loose wiring or plug connections on the engine itself to ensure they are all secure..