CarDoc
CarDoc, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

Just purchased a vehicle from my father who is an MOT

Just purchased a vehicle from my father who is an MOT Tester. however I feel the car is unsafe and shouldn’t of passed due to the clutch pedal drops to the floor causing the vehicle to be stuck in 1st or reverse and there are 2 warning lights on, abs and the anti traction control. Plus some minor items
Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: That did come on 2 days ago, I checked the fluid level which was fine, however today, it was constantly beeping. I rechecked the levels and it was now low. The master cylinder is weeping apparently but that shouldn’t be the cause of the level to drop suddenly. The vehicle has recently had new clutch, brake pads and discs all round and an abs sensor as well. I was sat around for just over a year when the clutch went during the MOT and the customer sold it to my father. The vehicle has only driven a few hundred miles since the repairs
Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Audi A4 2002
Assistant: Are you fixing your A4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Atm I’ve put a rubber spacer on the clutch pedal to raise it slightly. This has fixed the clutch pedal not returning in all gears but not in 1st r reverse. I either have to force it very hard to get it out of gear or stall it. Otherwise it will go to full speed in reverse for example despite the hand brake and foot brake being on
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats the main issues I wanted assistance on thank you

Thank you for using JA. I'm Baz, one of the automotive experts, I try to be available in the afternoon on weekdays and in the evenings on the weekend. I apologise if I do not respond to your question promptly, I can assure you that I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. I understand I’m a night shift worker

If the clutch master cylinder is leaking, you should replace this first, you are applying 15-20psi of pressure everytime you press the clutch. Most likely this is also the cause of gear issue because the master cylinder affects the slave cylinder travel which then affects the clutch release bearing acting on the clutch pressure plate. It's all one leads to another kind of situation, or one affects the other, if you know what I mean.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Unfortunately I am at work atm and can’t receive phone calls.

Don't accept any calls, they're automatic, so ignore them :)

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Cheers ***** ***** advice, first time on this site so thought you had sent the request, then realised afterwards it was computer generated

It's ok, you're not the first :) Thank you for using JA!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you! For your help, hoping to get it done Wednesday.

All the best!