sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have 2008 v50 2.0d SE P/shift VK58 AYZ. Have gearbox

Hi. I have 2008 v50 2.0d SE P/shift VK58 AYZ. Have gearbox problem, 3 weeks ago loud clonk and jolt when putting into D, has happened occasionally since. Also 2 occurences of car only going at 20 mph with message 'low transmission performance'. Have had gearbox oil and filter changed last week, garage reported error code 'fault on control valve no 1. Help!
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: last week, mileage 120000, before that at 78000.
JA: Are you fixing your V50 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No using local garage. Oil and filter change last week, then reported error code 'fault on control valve no 1'
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Yes, please continue the search for an answer to my gearbox problem. All the best, John

Hi, my name is Jose Sebastian, your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. I apologize for the delay to take your query

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer,i understand the problem present what you are presenting in the transmission is known as a transmission bump or kick usually due to oil pressure problems. As you aalready replaced the transmission fluid, the problem may be on the oil pressure control valve so it has that error code.

The oil pressure valve is the valve in charge of supplying the information to the valve body to know at what moment to perform each gear according to the pressure exerted within the transmission, when it is defective, the transmission does not know at what pressure to perform the changes. Therefore, when putting first gear, it kicks abruptly due to ignorance of the pressure in which the transmission is.
You will need to first check the condition of the transmission pressure sensor.

The other possible cause is that the first selenoid is getting stuck or has problems, as is the pressure sensor, and the first-gear solenoid or solenoid valve, when damaged, applies gears abruptly.

Lastly, dear customer, I recommend you also check the transmission mounts/supports. The bases are the supports that hold the transmission to the vehicle chassis. These supports are made of rubber. These rubbers eventually become damaged, which causes the transmission to move more. Abruptly, in any case, you are already presenting error codes regarding the transmission, therefore it is very likely that the defect is in the transmission interval as explained above.

Have you understood me dear customer?
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!

Regards, Sebastian.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Many thanks for clear and detailed reply - definitely 5star rating. One final question, are these valves and solenoid inside the gearbox on the V50? Removing engine/transmission unit would be very expensive, I have to decide what to do with 12 year old diesel car. Thanks again, John

yes dear customer unfortunately the valve and solenoid body is internal to the transmission and to reach it the transmission must be disassembled or in certain models it can be entered through the lower part of the transmission due to a special character they have

sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes