sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Battery was not compleatly flat but would not open door

battery was not compleatly flat but would not open door locks opened locks with key, opened drivers door alarm started to sound but only the siren no horn sounding and no indicators flashing. usually i remove battery and fully charge it and all is ok now alarm sounds constant ly
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: batter conns are fine car starts and drives
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2004 accord vetec 2000cc exec estate 5sp manual
JA: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the only other factor was i fitted a replacment electric drivers seat
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i tried locking and unlocking the car from inside and out with the engine running and with it stopped

Hi, my name is Jose Sebastian, your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, you are presenting a clear deprogramming problem in the alarm system. The problem is that I do not know if it happened due to the installation of the electric seat or due the flat battery.

When a battery is flat it is normal that certain electronic modules are deprogrammed in this case the alarm module, but solving this is not complicated but it does require a diagnostic tool with Honda software to be able to access the electronic modules including the alarm and to be able to do a factory data reset in this way the vehicle would be working with the original data, in this case the alarm module would be working normally.

This in the case that it has been deprogrammed due to a battery discharge, the problem is that if when installing the seat one of the circuits in alarm was touched, it could have caused a problem in the wiring of said module or a defect in it. Would be good to verify how you made this installation to verify that there has not been a short or high voltage that the module could find, if it is possible to get a test module to rule out.

Have you understood me, dear customer?
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
the install of the seat was done within 1 hour of disconecting the battery. the battery was reconnected 48/72 hours later

It may have been more the disconnection of the battery than the installation of the seat, because since the alarm module has been unconfigured, the best thing to do is to do a reset of the factory data through the diagnostic equipment, in anyway you can try a manual reset as well.
Manual reset.
1) Turn the key to ON position without ignite the engine.
2) Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.
3) Wait around 3 to 5 minutes to let all the modules delete its data.
4) Turn off the key and take it off.
5) Reconnect the negative terminal.
6) Turn again the key to ON position and wait around 30 seconds to let the modules restart.

If this doesn't work the diagnostic tool will be needed.

Do you understand me, dear customer?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
that has not solved the problem

Dear customer, if this did not sort out the problem, then you have to reprogram the module and delete the error code with a diagnostic tool. When the manual reset does not work, it means that there are error codes store in the ECU and the alarm module must be programmed again and the error codes stored delete.
The diagostic tool must have the Honda software to be able to gain access to this module.
Do you understand me dear customer?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
yea thanks