Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

My merc silk has a flat battery I have attached jump leads

Customer Question

My merc silk has a flat battery I have attached jump leads but the key won't turn in the ignition?
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: The key is ok and the steering wheel is locked
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Mercedes silk(###) ###-####JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just a flat battery and jump leads are attached
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Car
Expert:  R Gordon replied 9 days ago.

Hi before you do anything else verify that the hazard lights turn on with and without the jump leads, As a matter of interest

the hazards are the only permanently battery fed item on most cars think broken down key in your pocket hazards on etc.

so if the hazards dont come on with the jump leads connected you have either connected them badly or the wrong way round or blown

the maxi fuse close to the main battery feed.

Expert:  R Gordon replied 9 days ago.

Also the key wont turn until you get battery voltage as its an electronic key so dont try to force it

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** now, it was the starter motor
Expert:  R Gordon replied 9 days ago.

Thats good but a starter motor would not have caused the original fault of key not turning ?