Phillip H
Phillip H, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

My central locking works, apart from passenger front door,

Customer Question

Hello. My central locking works, apart from passenger front door, when unlocking, the passenger door does not open from the outside, if I pull the lever from the inside, the door can then be opened, then when I get out and use the central locking, the passenger front door does not lock. There's a black rubber cover on the side of the door with a padlock on it, if I pull that out, there's an orange tab thing that I can push with my little finger, the central locking then works all round, but I'm back to square one whenever I have a passenger. Would a new left side front door lever mechanism work, or is it something else. Please help
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: MK5 golf gti - 2005
JA: Are you fixing your Golf GTI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to have a go, just don't know what the problem is, obviously on YouTube there's a few 'mechanics', but can't find my problem
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, everything else is fine and I love my car, it's just this problem
Category: Car
Expert:  Phillip H replied 1 year ago.

Hiya

Is it a 5 door or a 3 door and if it is a 5 dor has it got rear electric windows?

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's 5 door, fully electric windows, manual transmission
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have an idea as to what the problem is?
Expert:  Phillip H replied 1 year ago.

Hiya

Thank you for waiting. I have attached a wiring diagram for your reference.

These systems work through a door control module in each door which controls everything from the door locking to the electric mirrors.

I suspect the problem could be with the Central Locking Motor Assy in the N/S/F door. You would need to remove the N/S/F door card to gain access to the Motor Assy. There will be a number of screws behing door handles etc and trim clips holding the door card on.

Once you have the door card off you should see a Black Plastic Box attached to the door. This is the Door Funtion Control Module. You need to check that the power is coming from this unit to the Central Locking Motor Assy. I would check the output from the Door Funtion Control Module first as it is easier to get to. Check the output from Connector B Terminal 2 for live / earth when operation the Central Locking (ensure that the door catch is in the closed position). Following this check Terminal 16 for the same. Following this check Terminal 1 for the same.

I have said to check all 3 for live / earth as I can't remember off the top of my head if iit is switched live or earth!

If this all checks out ok then you can check at the Lock Motor Connector Terminals 1, 2 and 9 for the same. If this all check outs ok then the Door Lock Motor / Catch Assy will need replacing.

Hope this helps.

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Philip, much appreciated
Expert:  Phillip H replied 1 year ago.

Hiya

No problem at all.

Phillip