sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a 2010 Smart Fortwo 451 and the battery has totally

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2010 Smart Fortwo 451 and the battery has totally died. I have tried to open it using the passnger side manual lock but it will not open, there is no lock on the boot or the passenger side so I am lost as to how I get into the thing, any help would be much appreciated please?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Stephen Rothwell replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully I can help.

It is quite common for the manual lock to seize up as it rarely gets used, one trick to free it off is to use a solvent cleaner such as this one CLICK HERE spraying this in the lock then gently working it backwards and forwards normally frees the lock off and enables the car to be opened.

WD 40 can be used but this does not work so effectively as the cleaner spray in the link.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks but the lock turns it just deosn't unlock the car. Did have to use it previously, a month or so ago and it worked but not now. I think it is because the battery is totally dead & Smat cars use the electric even when opening the manual lock but not certain on that

Ok

I can't offer much help in that case I will put your question back to the other experts hopefully one them will be able to offer assistance.

Steve

Expert:  oleksandrav-mod replied 1 month ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Oleksandra-Moderator
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologise for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
Dear customer, do you still need help?