sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Reverse isworking only 80% of the time, Its an 03 not 80 its

Reverse isworking only 80% of the time
JA: What is the model of your '80 Audi?
Customer: Its an 03 not 80 its an 8L 09A transmision
JA: When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: Fluid was replaced ~6 Months ago
JA: Are you fixing your 80 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Its a 2003 not an '80 and yep, transmission solenoids and fluid is all ive done at this point
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologise for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, what maintenances hav eyou done to your gearbox?
Have you done recently a diagnostic?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Only working have done is the solenoids and fluid as mentioned, haven't done any gear box specific diagnostics, but have ran the vehicle for codes and its reading all clear

Dear customer, I apologize for my delay to get back to you.

Dear customer, does the transmission only cause problems when applying the reverse gear?

I would like to know what is the precise fault that the transmission makes when applying the reverse, for example if, when coupling the reverse in the vehicle, it does not move as if it were not selecting the gear or if it shifts with very little power?

Because I am concerned that you have internal damage to the internal discs kit of the transmission, as this is normal to happen over time and since your transmission is almost 20 years old, it could generally be within the range where the transmission is deserving a replacement of the master kit that consists of all the internal discs of the transmission. In addition to the seals because even though you have replaced the transmission fluid of the selenoids, you are having pressure generation problems due to internal wear on the rubber and o'rings seals of the transmission, but if the transmission does not apply at all or that is to put reverse, the transmission literally remains in neutral or in stop, this could mean from my point of view a damage to the brake sensor or the gear selection system what is another different problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi sebastian. When selecting reverse it feels as if there is no gear - essentially as if I am sitting in neutral. So perhaps more likely a sensor issue? Otherwise it shifts relatively well, sometimes perhaps a little harsh but nothing that has caused me worryCheers

Yes dear customer, it may be more a problem at the level of the brake sensor or gear selection system, this model has 12 gear readers if i well remember, one located on the gear lever and others attached to the transmission, it is recommended to check both. But first, I would recommend you start by checking the brake sensor which is a simple switch located on the brake pedal.

Do you understand me dear customer?
My goal is to give you the best experience possible that's why i am sorry for my delay! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!
Kind regards.
Keep safe, Sebastian.

sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes