Gavin Perry
Gavin Perry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
105804848

I have a Mercedes 270 clk which I was hardly driving and

Hi there, I have a Mercedes 270 clk which I was hardly driving and this was causing me to have to jump start it when I was wanting to use it, I thought it would be a good idea to take the battery out and give it a full charge, but either when charging or putting it back in I think I've had it the wrong way round and now the cars electrics have went a bit erratic and the ignition will only go to the first turn its as though the car has went into a lock down, any help would be greatly appreciated, this car is too good to go to the scrap yard, thanks
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: I got a new battery and the same happened the headlights sometimes come on by themselves along with some other things
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 270 clk 2004
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No im a builder, I live in the countryside and this has baffled local mechanics I had one who connected a computer but he said the car didn't respond and said it would be 5/600 hundred to put a new computer in the car
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's about all I know

Morning my name is ***** ***** I help you with this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
gavin any help would be greatly appreciated : ))

Just to confirm the battery was fitted the wrong way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the money for the phone call just now if it can be fixed I will get the money for a guided call, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That was JA asking for a call not me.

Then you will of damaged some SAM units.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay doke no worries
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are Sam units

Different modules on the CAN bus network it is not a DIY repair can I have a post code near you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My postcode is ML110LP
Is it a viable repair ?

What is it's value i repair and never get involved in buying / selling.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I paid £1500 for the car

I have done a few for motor traders that have put the Battery on the wrong way expect atleast £600 onwards. Is it worth spending a £100 to fully diagnose what has blown.

Your post ML11 OLP is that correct where in the UK is that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's Coalburn South Lanarkshire Scotland
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A local machanic put his computer on it and said it wouldn't respond

It would not respond as it has nothing to connect to. I am looking in to something how in the sticks do you live.

I am looking on http://www.boschcarservice.com for a Bosch approved independent near you but not getting any luck could you try some other post codes near you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm well out in the countryside but ml11 is the area code and covers a huge distance, I'm not even sure of the surrounding codes, I'm in the sticks but it's very central in lowland Scotland, roughly an hour from Glasgow Edinburgh and also the border

Did that link work ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got on it but Im struggling to use it I'm not very good with computers

You never said how much do you think the car is worth.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not very clued up but I've been quoted £170 for recycling the car is in excellent condition for its age with low mileage and drove like a dream I would guess hope it was still worth £1000m1200 if this wasn't wrong with it, I had kind told myself if I could get it repaired for less than £500 it would be worth it

Been honest i would try it on a popular auction site as a non runner describe as you feel fit and walk away from it. You do not have to do that if you want to move forward and get it repaired.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was kind of thinking iit would be wise to walk away but needed to hear someone who knows what there talking about to say it, it was just such a good wee car before this lol emotionally attracted. Could you recommend any places to advertise the car ?

EBAY it as it is worth money for someone to break it and sell the parts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help mate it has been very much appreciated : ))

No problem if you need me just get back to me on this thread regards Gavin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do, thanks again mate, stay safe �� Colin : ))

No problem.