Phillip H
Phillip H,
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

Having a diagnostic on range rover will this show fault on

Customer Question

Having a diagnostic on range rover will this show fault on gearbox?
JA: What year is your Range Rover?
Customer: 57 plat
JA: Are you fixing your Range Rover yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No other going in for diagnostic cost £180
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Car
Expert:  Phillip H replied 11 days ago.

Hiya

Professional Diagnostic Software should in all instances provide Diagnostics for all Vehicle Electrical / Electronic Systems. This should give you a full report on all systems the vehicle is equipped with.

The DIY type Code Readers often only provide information for Engine Control Modules only and are therefore of limited use in todays complex networked systems.

Phillip

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Still haven't a clue weather to put it through the diagnostic so poor rating
Expert:  Phillip H replied 11 days ago.

Hiya

You have stated that the fault is with your gearbox?

The Full Diagnostic Code Read will show Electrical / Electronic Faults / Failures however it won't show anything Mechanical with the Gearbox.

The only way to diagnose a Mechanical Fault would be to have the Gearbox stripped and inspected.

Phillip

Expert:  Phillip H replied 11 days ago.

Hiya

I also think £180 for a Diagnostic Code Read sounds a bit expensive to me. I take it this is a dealer?

I think if you shop around you may find other garages that can do a full diagnostic code read for approx £50. They may not have the skill level to interpret the information that it gives but it will give you an iinitial idea of any potential problems.

Phillip