sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I’ve just got into my car and the transmission symbol has

Hey there. I’ve just got into my car and the transmission symbol has come up on my dash. Then it was flicking in and out of ‘park’ and wouldn’t let me change gear. (Auto gear box). I keep having a few issues with the sensors in the car, could this be a sensor problem or the real issue? I know you obviously can’t tell without looking of course but just trying to figure out if it could be a sensor? Thanks. J
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: Yes checked all that. The car is an 08. Transmission I believe is original.
JA: What is the model of your '08 BMW?
Customer: 320i sport
JA: Are you fixing your 320i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No it’s too complicated for me. Lol. I have to take it to a garage but every time I do, well most times they say it’s a sensor issue.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I don’t think so. Thank you

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer did this happen after some kind of work done to the car?
Have you done a diagnostic so far?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No work done to the car recently and not had a diagnostic check yet. I have had issues with my sensors but wondered if this could actually just be that or something more sinister so to speak. Thank you.

Dear customer, the transmissions of these BMWs are electronic transmissions controlled by a module known as The TCM (transmission control module) which is an electronic module in charge of all transmission operation.

If the failure occurred unexpectedly, there were no power losses, there was no burning smell, there were no strange sounds, etc. It is very likely that the failure occurred at the electronic system level.

In this case, what we have to do is a computerized diagnosis, we need to examine the values ​​of the live data stream of the transmission, an error code may have been generated, therefore a limp mode may be caused.

These transmissions have a limp mode when the computer receives an error code directly from the transmission that can mean a dangerous transmission failure or for the driver disables the speeds the vehicle enters a mode where it cannot be driven as a precaution.. It causes the gears of your transmission to be deactivated, the only way to correct this is by erasing the codes that may have been generated from the transmission through diagnostic equipment.

This is the most common thing that can happen dear customer, I do not think it is internal damage but simply an error code that could have generated the limp mode.

Then dear customer, if the error codes remain unverified according to the error code, for example, it may be a selector of the change selector that is clogged or may be that it does not allow the release of the gears.

Another common problem is that the brake sensor has been damaged, do a very simple test, verify that pressing the brake is activating the brake lights, and verify all fuses located under the dash and under the engine compartment, and that don't have any burned or loose.

Indicating that you have an internal transmission failure as such at the mechanical level is very difficult and i do not think so.

Have you understood me, dear Customer?

My goal is to give you the best experience possible and that's why i am sorry for my delay! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!
Keep safe.
Kind regards, Sebastian.

sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
That absolutely makes sense. Thank you Sebastian. I will have to get a diagnostic check up and find out if it can be cleared. I will take it if I can to the garage near me and hopefully it is just one of the small issues you have suggested. Many thanks for all your advice. Very pleased with your help. Have a great evening. ☺️

It is my pleasure. I hope so, it should be a small issue.
Even after you rate we can keep in touch.
All the best, Sebastian.