CarDoc
CarDoc, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

I have a fiat 500 twin air that's has an check engine light

Customer Question

I have a fiat 500 twin air that's has an check engine light come up and is showing a code of p0638
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stay on
JA: What year is your 500e?
Customer: 2013
JA: Are you fixing your 500e yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have take the throttle body off and cleaned it also changed the battery and changed the air sensor by the throttle body
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it
Category: Car
Expert:  CarDoc replied 7 days ago.

Hi, How are you?
I'm Shabaz, one of the automotive experts, I'm sorry you're experiencing problems with your car, I will do my best to help you today.

Expert:  CarDoc replied 7 days ago.

Have you tried to get the throttle body re-learned?

The fault code is for the throttle range which means that it is not following what the ECU wants it to follow. A re-learn procedure can fix these types of faults.

I hope this information helps you.

Expert:  CarDoc replied 7 days ago.

If a re-learn procedure does not fix the problem. You can either replace the throttle body or you can open the black cover on the throttle body and inspect for damage and repair it, if there's no obvious damage, you can clean the resistor tracks and see if that repairs the fault (please see the picture).

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
If I do replace the throttle body do I need to relearn that or is it a strait swap part
Expert:  CarDoc replied 7 days ago.

It will have to be re-learned because it will come with factory settings so, it needs to be adapted to your car.

Hope this information is helpful to you. Have a great day!

Thank you for visiting JustAnswer.