Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I believe my valve stem seals need replacing and wanted to

Customer Question

Hi, I believe my valve stem seals need replacing and wanted to find out the rough cost to replace them?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any leaks lately?
Customer: 114,000 Miles. No leaks, but the engine oil level keeps increasing, heavy blue smoke on start up and smoke on heavy acceleration. Idling rough, loss of power in higher end rev counter.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2008 Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 CDTI 150
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not fixing the car myself, will have to go to a garage to be repaired. All that has been done is the engine oil has been drained once already, it has increased a lot again.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 9 days ago.

Hi..there..

If your engine oil is increasing..then thats nothing to do with your valve stems seals! - your engine oil is either filling up with diesel fuel or coolant..if the engine oil smells of diesel..then you either have issue with injectors and leak back test would verfiy or with DPF diesel particulate filter not completing its regeneration where fuelling is increased or continually on regen..i would seriously get this checked out further before even going down the wrong route and getting the cylinder head reworked

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi, the dpf has just recently been changed in 2019, the coolant level is fine. Could there be a issue when the dpf was changed?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Engine coolant level is fine. Dpf was changed in 2019.
Expert:  Robert replied 9 days ago.

Yes but if the engine is oil diluted with diesel..then you either have an issue that DPF is constantly regening or failing..or one of or injectors are bad leaking down diesel and thus washes down the sides of the cylinder wall into the oil sump...engine oil doesnt increase on its own..