Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My sunroof.on my Kia Sportage keeps sticking when I try to

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: my sunroof.on my Kia Sportage keeps sticking when I try to close it. It opens ok but will close 50%, hen when I try again it only goes to 30% closed. Can you offer any assistance?
JA: What year is your Sportage?
Customer: 63 plate
JA: Are you fixing your Sportage yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i have had to try and gently pull it when I’ve activated the close mechanism, but obviously that’s not the solution. It is closed for tonight
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 9 days ago.

Expert:  Robert replied 9 days ago.

Hi..there..

The best starting point id advise is to inspect the rails the sunroof run along at either side of the roof opening..it key to ensure that those areas are clear of any dirt and should be well lubricated.spray grease is usually the best stuff..so first off you need to get the roof open..do this is stages..so open the roof half way then spray some grease into the rails after they have been checked for any debris..and the close it again and reopen a bit further and do the same thing and close it until you can get the roof fully open and grease the entire rail length the sunroof glass runs along..and then fully close and open a few time until the the sunroof begins to free up.. if none of that works? then it will mean that either the motor itself is under too much strain and result in it overheating thus the sunroof either stops.. or the cable wires the wind into the motor housing is binding up..that would mean unfortuntly having to get the roof liner out and the entire sunroof and it frame which can be heavy- either lower/dropped enough to replace the motor assembly and cables..but first try the method above and see how that goes..

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks Robert, I’ll give it a go
Expert:  Robert replied 8 days ago.

No problem