Michaeluk
Michaeluk, Technician
Experience:  Technician
109796520

Fiat Sedici 2007 Engine light keeps reappearing, Vehicle

Fiat Sedici 2007 Engine light keeps reappearing
JA: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: Vehicle didn't stall, no one pulled the trouble code
JA: What is the model of your '07 Fiat?
Customer: 16v 4 x 4 essence I think
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I won't be fixing it myself... Unless it's easy! Brought to mechanic who said it might be the catalytic converter but didn't check it
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so

Dear customer, thank you for choosing Justanswer. My name is***** would like to help you.

The mechanic who has examined the vehicle before seems to have read the error codes.

Please ask him for the code that was stored.

If the code is "Catalytic converter efficiency below threshold value" or similar, the catalytic converter is actually defective. The layer, which is applied to the ceramic in the catalytic converter, is "worn" in this case. The layer can no longer convert enough carbon monixide into carbon dioxide. This is detected by the lambda sensor after the catalytic converter, which then sends a message to the engine control unit.

You can still drive with the defective one, nothing happens to the engine, but the car will fall through the next MOT. Either install a new or a used catalytic converter, that would solve the problem.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.

Hi there, I can ask him if he has the codes but can you advise what it might be if it is not the converter?

With the codes, the cause can at least be limited to another component.

Please ask for the codes at the workshop and tell me here. Thanks

Customer: replied 10 days ago.

P0420

The mentioned error code describes the problem with the catalyst which I described at the beginning.

I am sorry, the catalyst has to be replaced to solve the problem.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.

Could it be a sensor problem?

This is very unlikely if it is the catalytic converter lambda sensor which produces the fault, but experience shows that in 10 cases the sensor is defective perhaps once.